Revitalizing underused land with community gardens
The YMCA helps revitalize underused spaces by planting communal gardens. Community gardening is also a great way for neighbours to meet each other. Our garden facilitators are present to provide horticultural advice and support and to help with collective decision-making.
Community gardens allow participants to:
- grow organic fruits and vegetables;
- develop their gardening skills;
- learn about gardening and healthy eating;
- strengthen relationships between members of the community;
- have intergenerational experiences (children, youth and seniors);
- help reduce the heat island effect.
This program is offered at the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve YMCA and the Pointe-Saint-Charles YMCA.