How to apply for a Leadership Program
Basic eligibility requirements:
- Trailblazer (June 22nd-August 14th): must be 16 or 17 years old by July 1st, 2020, and be available for the entire summer
- Forester (June 22nd-August 14th): must be 16 or 17 years old by July 1st, 2020, and have canoe tripping experience, and be available for the entire summer
- Leadership Development 1 (June 22nd-July 17th) or Leadership Development 2 (July 20th-August 14th): must by 15 or 16 years old by July 1st, 2020, and be available for the entire month of your chosen program
- Exceptions may be made to miss a couple of days of your program for educational conflicts – please mention your date restrictions in the interview process
To apply for a leadership program:
- When registration opens, fill out your registration form on our online registration system. Please note that for the LIT programs, cabin mate requests are not necessarily taken into consideration when forming sleeping arrangements. We believe that part of being an LIT is learning to live in a community with ALL others, and thus we create and change our sleeping arrangements when it suits the needs of the group’s development.
- Candidates: Tell us, in the most creative way you can think of, why you want to take part in a Camp YMCA Kanawana Leadership Program. Let us know what you are most looking forward to learning, how you think the program will help you in the future, and what you have to offer as a leader at Camp YMCA Kanawana. Submissions we’ve received in the past include such things as songs, videos, drawings, creative writing, or other unique creations.
ALL submissions for part 2 of the application must include the following:
- Age by July 1st, 2020 (birth date is helpful)
- Leadership Program of choice (Trailblazer, Forester, Leadership Development 1/2)
Submissions can be made in English OR French, and should be sent:
- By email/Google Drive link to email@example.com with a subject heading “LIT Application” (note: GMAIL, not YMCAQUEBEC)
- Or by mail/in person to: Camp YMCA Kanawana, 1440 Rue Stanley, RC, Montreal, QC, H3A 1P7
Once we receive your camper’s creative application AND your online registration, candidates will be contacted to have a group or individual interview in person. For people who are not in the Montreal region, the interview can be conducted by phone or over a video chat. You will need to reply to the interview invitation to indicate your method of interview required.
We will do our best to send out decision notices in the week following the group interview day, depending on whether or not we can schedule all of our individual interviews beforehand. Participants will be notified by email.
Please note with our new online registration system, we intend that no payment will be taken for leadership program registration until your camper has been accepted into the program – we will notify you if that changes before online registration opens in January. Please also note that financial assistance AND specific campership subsidies are available for our leadership programs. If cost is an issue for you, please get in touch with us to discuss options for your LIT-hopeful camper, and encourage them to apply!
Feel free to contact us for more information about our leadership programs – firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.