Certifications are valid for two years.
If you do not meet the criteria for recertification, your certification will be temporarily suspended and charges will apply to activate your file.
CRITERIA FOR RECERTIFICATION
- Applicants must download and complete the recertification form.
- Applicants must earn 16 continuing education credits every two years (1 hour = 1 credit).
- Group fitness instructors with two specializations must provide proof of having led 50 hours of classes in the last two years.
- Group fitness instructors with three to five specializations must provide proof of having led 75 hours of classes in the last two years.
- Personal trainers must provide proof of having completed a minimum of 50 hours of instruction in the last two years.
- Instructors must hold a valid Heartsaver® CPR AED with Child Module or with Child & Infant Modules.
IF YOUR CERTIFICATION IS NO LONGER VALID
If your certification was last issued 2 to 5 years ago:
- Provide proof of certification.
- Schedule a Basic Theory exam (if applicable) and an Individual Conditioning Theory exam (if applicable) with the F.I.T. Program Coordinator . You must receive a passing grade of no less than 80%. Exam fees are $50 plus tax for each exam.
- Schedule a practical exam with a YMCA F.I.T. Trainer. Practical exam fee is $50 plus tax.
- Provide proof of valid Heartsaver® CPR AED with Child Module or with Child & Infant Modules.
If your certification was issued more than 5 years ago:
Your file will be closed. To renew your certification, you must complete the course again and pay the course fees in full.
Continuing Education Workshops
Recertification and updating certification
To maintain a valid certification, you must attend at least 16 hours of continuing education workshops over a two-year period. Two of these workshops, or six hours, must be taken from the YMCAs of Québec’s Continuing Education Workshop Calendar.
Important note: Workshops, certifications or Fitness conferences exceeding 6 hours, will be recognized for 6 hours maximum toward the 16 continuing education credits required for recertification.