Certifications are valid for two years.
If you do not meet the criteria for recertification, your certification will be temporarily suspended and charges will apply to activate your file.
CRITERIA FOR RECERTIFICATION
- Applicants must download and complete the recertification form.
- Applicants must earn 16 continuing education credits every two years (1 hour = 1 credit). (For more information)
- Group fitness instructors with one to two specializations must provide proof of having led 50 hours of classes in the last two years.
- Group fitness instructors with three to five specializations must provide proof of having led 75 hours of classes in the last two years.
- Personal trainers must provide proof of having completed a minimum of 50 hours of instruction in the last two years.
- Instructors must hold a valid Heartsaver® CPR AED with Child Module or with Child & Infant Modules.
ATTENTION: The Personal Trainer certification course has replaced the Individual Conditioning certification course. We’re currently in transition. The Individual Conditioning certification will no longer be renewable.
If your certification is no longer valid
If the last issue date of your certification dates from 2 years to 5 years:
- Provide proof of certification.
- Take the Basic Theory Challenge Exam at a cost of $50.00 (passing score required: 80% or more)
- Take the Personal Trainer Challenge Exam (if applicable) at a cost of $50.00(passing score required: 85% or more)
- Successfully pass a practical evaluation supervised by a YMCA trainer at a cost of $50.00.
- Provide a valid certification in Heartsaver® CPR AED with Child Module or Child and Infant Modules.
If the last issue date of your certification is more than 5 years ago:
Your file will be closed and you will have to repeat all the courses normally required for the certification by paying the price indicated in the price list.
Continuing Education Workshops
Recertification and updating certification
To maintain a valid certification, you must attend at least 16 hours of continuing education workshops over a two-year period. Two of these workshops, or six hours, must be taken from the YMCAs of Québec’s Continuing Education Workshop Calendar.
Important note: Workshops, certifications or Fitness conferences exceeding 6 hours, will be recognized for 6 hours maximum toward the 16 continuing education credits required for recertification. (For more information)
Continuing Education Credit Equivalency Program
For more information on our continuing education credit equivalency program, please consult this document.