The YMCA opened its first North American centre in downtown Montréal in 1851. Sixty years later, the Y moved to its current location on Stanley Street, in the heart of the city and steps away from Montréal’s Metro, universities, business district and major commercial arteries.
Today, the Downtown YMCA serves the greatest amount of people and has the largest membership of any YMCA community and fitness centre in Québec. Offering more than 140 group classes a week, its modern fitness facilities are enjoyed by thousands of people who work or live downtown.
The centre is also a leading provider of prevention programs and support for vulnerable, homeless and marginalized people. In addition, the Downtown YMCA is home to a daycare, a day camp, a Youth Zone, the YMCA International Language School, Association Services and the offices of Camp YMCA Kanawana, the Compensatory Work Program, the Espadrille Day Centre (CJLE) and La Boussole, the YMCA’s employment assistance program.
- 2 conditioning rooms with cardio equipment, a strength training circuit and free weights;
- 25-metre swimming pool;
- Unisex whirlpool and sauna;
- Double multi-sport gymnasium;
- 125-metre indoor running track;
- Multi-purpose studios for group fitness classes;
- Spin bikes for studio cycling;
- Four squash courts and a racquetball/squash court;
- Locker rooms, including a family locker room and a Plus locker room with a steam bath;