Our centres are always bustling with activity. Make sure you don’t miss out—take a look at your centre’s bulletin boards and monitors, follow us on social media and keep an eye on the ‘Blog’ section of our website!
Holiday giving and food and toy drive
Help a young person reconnect. To their life. To their school. To their community. Don't miss the 2018 deadline! Make your year-end donation online right now to the YMCA and receive a tax credit.
Employees, volunteers and YMCA participants are also supporting our partners in the community:
- Youth from the C-Vert program are collecting new or nearly new toys for the Dr. Julien Foundation. You can deposit your donations in the collection box at the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve YMCA reception until December 14th.
- The West Island YMCA is collecting non-perishable food for the West Island Assistance Fund. You can deposit your donations in the collection box at the reception until December 20th.
- As part of the holiday food drive for Gym alternatif, the children from the C.P.E. Complex Guy-Favreau will drop off their food donations on Monday, December 17, 2018 and sing some carols. Food can be donated to the drive until December 18th, 2018.
- Until December 14th, the Du Parc YMCA will be collecting non-perishable food items that will be donated to the Mile-End Mission. The food will be used to make Christmas baskets to be distributed on December 19th. For all donations of clothing, toys or hygiene products, please contact Mile-End Mission directly at 514 274-3401.
Gym alternatif for veterans
- Gym alternatif, a component of the Dialogue program, has just been selected to receive funding from the Veterans' Fund for the wellbeing of veterans and their families, in order to provide service to at-risk and homeless veterans. A worker will supervise sports activities and accompany participants in stabilization efforts to improve their quality of life.
Partnership with CHUM
- In partnership with the centre hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal (CHUM), the Guy-Favreau YMCA is now hosting two groups of patients. The first group of patients from the Centre's Department of Rehabilitation Centre (hand rehabilitation) began visiting the Guy-Favreau YMCA on Tuesday, November 27, 2018 and are being followed by an occupational therapist and a kinesiologist. As of December 6, 2018, a second group of young adults in treatment for psychiatric challenges began a physical training program at the centre accompanied by CHUM specialists.
Major pool renovations
- The YMCA West Island Pool will be closed from December 17th to December 30th for major renovations. The replacement of doors and windows will allow the centre to reduce its environmental footprint by becoming more energy efficient. A non-slip coating on the steps and the wading pool's descent will also help to improve pool safety for everyone. During renovations, members are welcome to use the pools at other YMCA centres.
A beautiful ice-skating show
- Last month, more than 150 people attended the free skate and ice-dancing show at the YMCA Hochelaga-Maisonneuve Arena. This superb show will surely have inspired many little spectators to put on their skates this winter!
Downtown YMCA 2018 Indoor Triathlon raises over $21,000
- More than 300 participants, volunteers and spectators gathered at the Downtown YMCA on November 18th for the 2nd edition of the Indoor Triathlon, a fundraising event for the benefit of the Québec YMCAs Foundation. The funds raised will provide opportunities for children, youth and families in our community to learn, connect and be active.
Improve your swimming technique with aquatic workshops
- Like to swim? A brand new one-hour workshop for beginner and intermediate swimmers will help you improve your front crawl and your flip turn for gaining power and speed. The one-hour workshop will be offered in January 2019. Consult the centre's team for details!
Don't miss out on the next Culturellement YMCA event
- The next Du Parc Culturellement YMCA event will take place on Friday, February 1st, from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm, in the communal area. The free event welcomes professional and amateur artists from different disciplines and is open to everyone.
New courses for you in January at the West Island YMCA
- New group classes and small group training will be featured at the West Island YMCA starting in January. These include aero-belly dancing, myofascial massage, introduction to running and Kidfit — a course for children from 6 to 11-years-old.
Try hula hoop classes in January!
In January, the Downtown YMCA will be offering introductory hula hoop and fitness hula hoop classes. These small group workouts will have you rediscovering a favourite childhood activity while working on your coordination and musculature. Fun-filled and energizing - don't miss it!
The new reception desk is almost finished
- The renovations at the West Island YMCA are almost complete! The reception counter has been completely redesigned to be more functional and offers a more contemporary look as well as improved lighting. We would like to thank all the members for their collaboration during the construction period!