Our Code of Conduct embodies the spirit of the Y and helps our members, participants, and visitors to feel comfortable and safe at the YMCA.
As a member, participant, or visitor, you agree to follow our Code of Conduct, which is based on the values of caring, honesty, responsibility, and respect. This is why the following behaviours are prohibited in all YMCA facilities, programs, and online communities:
- Inappropriate attire. Appropriate attire must be worn at all times. It is prohibited to wear clothing with vulgar language, obscene images, racial slurs or anything that contributes to a hostile environment or is inappropriate for a family environment.
- Inappropriate language. Any hostile or vulgar language, including swearing, shouting, or name-calling.
- Threatening physical contact. Any threatening or hostile physical contact with another person, including play fighting.
- Sexual activity. Any demonstration of sexual activity or sexual contact with another person.
- Harassment/intimidation. Any form of harassment or intimidation, by words, gestures, body language or behaviour that demeans another person or culture.
- Theft/destruction of property. Any theft or behaviour that results in the destruction of property.
- Weapons. Carrying or concealing any weapons or objects that may be used as weapons (including items that appear to be real). The YMCA bans all weapons on its premises.
- Drugs or alcohol. Possessing or using drugs or alcohol at the YMCA, in YMCA vehicles or during YMCA sponsored programs.
- Inappropriate conduct. Any conduct of an inappropriate, threatening or offensive nature.
- Loitering. Loitering is not permitted in or outside YMCA facilities or programs.
- Cellphone use
- It is prohibited to talk on cellphones in the conditioning rooms, studios, locker rooms, sauna, hot tub, and steam room.
- It is prohibited to take photos or videos anywhere in the centre without express permission.
- Tobacco. The use of tobacco or similar products, including e-cigarettes, is not permitted in or outside YMCA facilities and programs. YMCA facilities, grounds, and vehicles are a tobacco-free environment.
- Social media. It is prohibited to use social media in a manner that is contrary to the YMCA’s mission or detrimental to the community.
- Wearing a mask. Since wearing a mask is mandatory in indoor public spaces as of July 18, you will have to wear a mask to enter and use our facilities. However, you will not have to wear it while exercising, but you will have to stay at least 2 metres away from others at all times. If you need to take a photo for your membership card, you will have to remove your mask first.
If a member, participant or visitor does not want to confront someone about offensive behaviour or other issues that violate the Code of Conduct, they should report the behaviour to a YMCA employee.
Violating the Code of Conduct may result in the suspension or cancellation of a membership. When an incident is being investigated, the membership of the person accused of violating this Code of Conduct may be temporarily suspended pending a final decision.
The YMCA is a shared experience enjoyed by everyone. Each one of us can make the experience more enjoyable by showing some consideration. Members, visitors, volunteers, and employees are committed to treating each other with dignity and respect, taking care of the centre’s facilities, and following the rules. Failure to do so may result in immediate expulsion and the cancellation of a membership and registration to an activity.