(Montréal, November 10, 2021) Today, the YMCA Peace Medals, presented by BLG, will honour the individuals, organizations, and businesses that contribute to building stronger and more inclusive communities. From women’s rights to Indigenous rights to diversity and inclusion to services for victims of domestic abuse, the work of our laureates tackles important and relevant issues, but most of all, inspires us all!
The biggest annual philanthropic event of the YMCAs of Québec’s Foundation, the YMCA Peace Medals also contributes to offering free programs to over 6,000 young people every year. Last year, this event helped us provide 25,000 hours of academic support in addition to psychosocial support to over 1,200 at-risk youth.
“Our mission is to inspire each person to fulfill their potential, thrive, and contribute to their community. For young people, this is typically achieved through education and strong social relationships, two things particularly affected by the pandemic. That’s why the Y is so important. It’s at their Y, whether in person or online, that these young people find the tools and support they need to succeed in school, to support their peers, and to contribute to their community,” explains Stéphane Vaillancourt, President and CEO of the YMCAs of Québec.
Hosted by Dorothy Rhau, Audace au féminin President and Founder, the event will pay tribute to:
- Honorary laureate – The Honourable Michèle Audette, senator and defender of Indigenous women’s rights
- Youth Peacemaker – La voix des jeunes compte , a group of young women mobilizing their efforts to make schools safer and free of sexual violence
- Individual for Peace – Dr. Stanley Vollant, the first Indigenous surgeon in Québec and an advocate for healthy lifestyle habits
- Organization for Peace – The Shield of Athena, an organization that provides services to victims of domestic violence
- Company for Peace – The Caisse de dépôt et de placement du Québec’s Equity 253 Fund
- Coup de Cœur – The Décoloniser l’histoire documentary series
And for the first time, the event can be streamed live on the YMCAs of Québec’s Facebook page so that all our communities can celebrate these extraordinary people.
The event is made possible thanks to the generosity of our partners: BLG, BMO Financial Group, Cogir Real Estate, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, CN, Cogeco, Metro, Power Corporation of Canada.
About the YMCAs of Québec and the YMCAs of Québec Foundation
A charitable organization whose mission is to encourage and inspire all people to fulfill their potential, thrive, and contribute to their community, the YMCAs of Québec offer programs in 36 points of service and virtually across the province, as well as operating the YMCA International Language School, the YMCA Residence, and Camp YMCA Kanawana. Thanks to financial partnerships with different levels of government and the generosity of its volunteers and donors, each year, the YMCA helps more than 120,000 people develop their skills. As the first YMCA in North America, the YMCAs of Québec have been present in Montréal since 1851
Senior Advisor, Philanthropic Communications and Social Impact