The annual fundraising campaign hopes to raise $528,500
Montréal, February 16, 2015
to ensure a better future for the children and youth in our communities
– Today marks the launch of The YMCAs of Québec’s 2015 YMCA Strong Kids Campaign, which is aimed at ensuring a better future for the children and youth in our communities. More than 35,000 children and youths benefit from YMCA programs each year. Our goal for the 2015 campaign is to raise $528,500. Hundreds of volunteers and donors will be doing their part to support children and youth. Each YMCA centre will kick off the YMCA Strong Kids Campaign in its own unique way.
“Just imagine for a moment a community that is physically active, believes in the potential of youth and helps them succeed; a community where everyone is welcome and where living feels good,” said Stéphane Vaillancourt, President and CEO of The YMCAs of Québec. “We want to provide a healthy, safe and supportive environment where children and youth can thrive and achieve their full potential. The YMCA Strong Kids Campaign allows us to promote healthy lifestyle habits at a young age, nurture the development of young people and foster their sense of belonging and engagement within their communities and in the neighbourhoods we serve.”
“I would like to thank everyone who has made it possible for me to enjoy so many wonderful summers at Camp YMCA Kanawana. I am the person I am today thanks to those who give so kids like me can have such incredible experiences. To be honest, it’s difficult for me to say these words without tearing up; these people have given my life meaning and they might not even realize it.”
Marcus, the eldest of three children
and a current junior counsellor who received financial assistance to attend Camp YMCA Kanawana as a camper and counsellor-in-training.
Whether you wish to…
- give a child the chance to participate in an activity (swimming lesson, camp, etc.);
- allow a child with special needs to attend a day camp;
- help an at-risk teen get off the streets by frequenting our Youth Zones;
- make it easier for a vulnerable person to get support from our community workers;
…your donation will make a difference.
The YMCAs of Québec invites donors to give generously by dropping by their local YMCA centre, calling 514 849-5331, ext. 1233, or visiting ymcastrongkids.ca.
Calendar of events:
About The YMCAs of Québec
- February 21, 2015: Family Ski Day with the YMCA Ski School team.
- March 21, 2015: Get Fit for Strong Kids at the West Island YMCA.
- March 28, 2015: Get Fit for Strong Kids at the Pointe-Saint-Charles YMCA.
- April 14 and 16, 2015: Swim-o-thon at the Guy-Favreau YMCA.
- April 18, 2015: Toy sale at the Saint-Laurent YMCA
- April 18, 2015: Spin-o-thon at the Downtown YMCA.
- April 24, 2015: Dance at the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce YMCA.
- April 25, 2015: Cyclothon at the Cartierville YMCA.
- May 2, 2015: The Spring Challenge running event organized by the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve YMCA.
- And many more to come!
The YMCAs of Québec is a charitable organization that builds stronger communities by providing opportunities for everyone to lead fulfilling, active, healthy and engaged lives. Its 10 YMCA centres, International Language School, Ski School, Residence, Camp YMCA Kanawana and its 43 service sites across the province are visited each year by more than 125,000 people. The first YMCA in North America was founded in Montréal in November 1851. The YMCAs of Québec is part of the Canadian network of 50 YMCA associations. For more information, visit ymcaquebec.org or our Facebook and Twitter pages.
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
Nathalie Viora, Communications Manager / The YMCAs of Québec
514 849-5331, ext. 1215 / 514 523-2006 / firstname.lastname@example.org